In this first section of Romans 1, Paul shares his greetings to the Christian churches in Rome. This is a very long greeting! Imagine if saying "hello" in our letters always took seven verses to write out! Letter-writing would take a very long time. The reason why Paul wrote such a long greeting is because he had not been to Rome and he wanted to fully explain the gospel to anyone who might not understand it.
Can you summarize the gospel? It is a good thing to practice sharing the gospel in a way that other people can understand, even children. I like to explain the gospel using colors.
- Gold: God is holy and righteous. He is without sin.
- Black: We have all sinned, and the punishment for our sins is death.
- Red: God sent his only Son, Jesus, to die on the cross for us and take the punishment for our sins.
- White: If we repent and put our faith in Jesus, we are seen as clean and righteous by God!
- Green: We can grow in our relationship with the Lord by being baptized, attending church, praying, and reading our Bible.
Paul calls himself a servant and an apostle. When he does this, he is being humble by showing that his life is completely God's, but he is also showing his authority as an apostle. An apostle is someone who has been chosen by Christ to disciple the church. Paul had authority to write books of the Bible.
Paul talks about his life mission in Romans 1:5, which is to bring the gospel to all nations, and this is our calling too! We are commanded by God to share the gospel in Kenya, in the USA, and all over the world.
"Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ." -Romans 1:7
1.) Explain the gospel in a way that is easy to understand.
2.) How can you help share the gospel?
3.) What are ways that God has given you peace in your life?
Words to learn:
1.) Summarize: to share something in a few words
2.) Holy: godly, sacred, perfect, without sin
3.) Authority: a power that is given
4.) Transform: to change in nature
Three years ago: Wistful
Four years ago: The Broken Beam